[osgeo4w-dev] GEOS 3.2.2 packaging

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 27 12:03:19 EST 2010

On 10-12-27 11:19 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm seeking to package GEOS 3.2.2 for OSGeo4W. Reviewing setup.ini I see
> dependencies on GEOS by python-shapely, various versions of GDAL, various
> versions of MapServer, qgis, and qgis-dev.
>
> I believe GDAL only depends on the GEOS C API which is hopefully compatible
> between versions. I think this is true of MapServer too, though I'm not so
> sure. I believe QGIS depends on the C++ ABI and will need to be recompiled.
> I'm not sure about python-shapely.
>
> I'll try to prepare a geos 3.2.2 package others can use to build against and
> I'll make at least some effort to confirm the above assumptions. But if
> anyone knows more please feel free to let me know.
>
> Jurgen, are you available to rebuild qgis and qgis-dev with a new GEOS as
> part of making this ABI incompatible upgrade?
>
> The upgrade is related to http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/175 so it might
> be best to carry the conversation forward there.

Folks,

Well, after a bit more investigation it appears that QGIS does *not* depend
on the GEOS C ABI (I checked a few qgis dll's with depends.exe to see what
they use).  I have uploaded a GEOS 3.2.2 package to the test environment
and very very briefly confirmed that mapserver, gdal and qgis seem to still
be working.  I'd appreciate some testing from others if convenient.