[osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W Governance

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Feb 19 03:25:33 EST 2010

Frank,

Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts together on OSGeo4W
governance.

Like your GDAL and Python 'standard' issues, I also see a few issues
coming up that should be discussed as a PSC beforehand rather than just
'it's committed, please update server'.  For example: Hayashi-san and I
will be proposing a change to the first window (instead of just
'express' and 'advanced', propose something like 'Express Desktop
Install', 'Express Web GIS Install', and 'Advanced Install').  This
proposed change has come from suggestions from users.  (in fact
Hayashi-san and his team are working on this now) Additionally, many
users are saying that the Advanced window contains too many confusing
dev versions and libs of packages, making it unusable for them - we will
also be proposing to create an 'OSGeo4W Users Edition' of the installer
which contains only stable versions (no libs or dev packages).  We will
of course produce RFCs for both of these.

So I think the timing is good to setup a PSC.

I agree that being a packager for OSGeo4W needs to be taken more
seriously, or at least we need to be recording who is packaging what.

For the PSC, I would second your suggestions, and also add Yewondwossen
Assefa (who was has been involved since the beginning, but I have not
verified with him yet if he is interested in being on the PSC), and also
Hirofumi Hayashi (who is very honored to be considered for the PSC, may
have not been visible before but has a strong interest in this
product...indeed in a very short amount of time his team have made some
great improvements in the product)

Hopefully you don't think this is too many PSC members - it is a big
project with many packages, so I think it warrants a little more
representation.

I would like to start writing these 2 RFCs as soon as we make a decision
on the governance.

(Hayashi-san and Venka have added their roles in the wiki)

-jeff