[osgeo4w-dev] Import data

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 14 12:36:28 EST 2010

legio nostra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In Quantum GIS is possible to import data from a database "ArcSDE" of ESRI?
>
> Or is it a possibility to do in the future?

Orlando,

On the OSGeo4W packages list I see pkg-gdal-sde90, pkg-gdal-sde91 and
pkg-gdal-sde92.  Unfortunately these packages are for the standard GDAL
package (1.5) and QGIS in OSGeo4W has chosen to depend on the non-default
GDAL 1.6 version for which these packages have not been prepared.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackageListing

So you could install the corresponding gdal sde plugin driver and then use
"ogr2ogr" at the commandline to extract layers to shapefiles or some
other generic format.  Those files could then be used in QGIS.

You might also find these pages helpful:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_sde.html
   http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

Note that you need to have SDE client support already installed on the
target system.  I imagine this would already be the case if you are using
ArcGIS or related tools on that desktop.