[osgeo4w-dev] Re: gdal&osgeo4w

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 9 09:40:54 EDT 2010

Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 09/07/2010 15:29, Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
>> I have no definate plan for adding a gdal 1.7 package in OSGeo4W, though it
>> could be done fairly easily and quickly.  What is significantly harder is
>> making it the default GDAL in OSGeo4W used by other packages like MapServer
>> and QGIS.
>
> Too bad: we are planning of using new features of 1.7 in some QGIS plugins, and it is
> unfortunate our windows users cannot take advantage of this.
> Anyone is willing to help the transition? I cannot be of help, as I know nothing
> about windows.
> All the best, and thanks for the clarification.

Paolo,

I'd be willing to push forward immediately on packaging GDAL 1.7.  At that
point jef could rework QGIS at least to use it.  He is already using "not the
standard version" for QGIS since he uses 1.6 and the standard version is the
ancient 1.5.

I'll work on the packaging of 1.7 in the next few days and provide notice when
it is ready on the osgeo4w list.   I will pattern it on the 1.6 package.