[osgeo4w-dev] no jp2 support?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jun 2 15:09:22 EDT 2010

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am surprised to see the only jpeg2000 support in o4w seems to supplied
> as part of the hard-to-comply-with ECW plugin. Is there a particular
> reason for this or is it just a case of not enough demand? (And if no
> demand, why? what's replacing that niche for people?)

Matt,

The MrSID plugin should also provide JPEG2000 read support.

I am unable to include a Kakadu based driver due to license compliance issues.

I generally avoid the JasPer driver since it performs so poorly with large
files.  I understand Even has completed an OpenJPEG based jpeg2000 driver
that is open source and works with large files effectively.  I'd like to
include that at some point.