[osgeo4w-dev] xxmklink vs. nircmd

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon May 24 12:05:54 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I found it a little annoying that the batch files, we use to start desktop
application, show a text window before starting.  Looking for a solution I
stumbled across nircmd[1].

That tool can not only run batch files (and other programs) without a text
window, but also more that could be useful for our install scripts, eg. create
shortcuts, set registry values, show message boxes and run commands with
elevated rights.  So it could also replace xxmklink[2].

Example: create a short cut that starts QGIS without text window

	nircmd shortcut "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin\nircmd.exe" "~$folder.common_programs$\OSGeo4W" "Quantum GIS" "exec hide %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin\qgis-dev.bat" "%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\qgis-dev\icons\QGIS.ico"

nircmd is Freeware (but unfortunately not open source).  Which xxmklink
apparantly is not.  It's only free for personal used. So we might currently
operated in a grey area there.

How about replacing the two?

Jürgen

[1] http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html
[2] http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy38.htm

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden