[osgeo4w-dev] Compressing osgeo4w-setup.exe

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon May 31 13:43:34 EDT 2010

Hello devs,

We've recently hit a wall when compiling a new osgeo4w-setup.exe file.
Following the steps in the cygwin README, when compressing the exe with
the UPX utility (the goal is to get the 9MB exe down to approximately
400KB) the following error is thrown:

     CantPackException: TLS callbacks are not supported

I dug into this issue and wow a lot of people are hitting this wall (UPX
users, Cygwin team, RedHat team).  Eventually I found a thread on the
cygwin-apps mailing, and one of the messages states that for the current
mingw-runtime version (3.18) TLS callbacks are now the default, and this
causes problems for UPX since it does not allow TLS callbacks
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2010-03/msg00075.html).  Long long
long story short, the current workout for compressing osgeo4w-setup.exe
is to revert to mingw-runtime version 3.17.  I have documented this in
detail on the SetupDevelopment page (see setup 5:
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/SetupDevelopment).

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna