[osgeo4w-dev] Current filesystem tree sucks!

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Sep 11 15:55:44 EDT 2010

Hi Frank,

On Sat, 11. Sep 2010 at 08:39:54 +0200, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I will add that it is not very easy for us to uninstall and reinstall
> packages from bat files without adding an explicit dependency on the perl
> based apt interface to packages.

python - perl would be nice ;)

> Lacking an understanding of the need you are trying to express I am not to
> keen on taking action.

I also don't see a need for that.  But it might be something to reconsider when
we reboot.

I don't quite see how update-alternatives would help.  On Debian it's used to
switch executables - something gdal16.bat / gdal17.bat does on OSGeo4W (but
only for the current session).

The libraries are named diffently and as are the include directories (just that
the live in a separate directory in /usr/include).

Ok, some packages have a configuration script (like gdal-config) which could be
covered by update-alternatives.  But we don't have those - because we don't
rely on a (unix) shell.

Maybe just prepending the appropriate paths to %LIB% and %INCLUDE% (just like
it's done for %PATH%) from gdal16.bat and gdal17.bat could be enough.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden