[osgeo4w-dev] Significant Problems installing QGIS

Jeff Ruby jgr007 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:59:38 EST 2011

OK.  Here's a summary of the issues I'm having.

I want to run QGIS 1.6 with MrSID read support, GDAL 1.7 and 1.8/dev
and GDAL shell.  I spent about 4 hours trying multiple
iterations of install/uninstall/delete yesterday so I started from
scratch this morning.

System:  Dell T7500, 260GB free space on install disk, 24GB RAM, windows XPx64
Setup Directory:  C:\OsGeo4W_setup
Install Directory:  C:\OSGeo4W
OSGeo4W-setup.exe downloaded 1 FEB 2011

As I said, I had lots of problems yesterday so I'm starting with
Express Install and building from there.

I ran setup->express and select QGIS and GDAL.

QGIS
It doesn't appear that QGIS has been installed (possibly the bzip problem?).
In Windows Start Menu there is no icon for QGIS.
There is no qgis.bat file in c:\OSGeo4W\bin

GDAL
When I run any gdal comand I get a 'ogdi_32b1.dll not found' error.

I reran setup->advanced and upgraded the qgis-full metapackage from
1.5 to 1.6.0-1.

It appears QGIS 1.6 is now installed, but when I run it I get a
'QtSql4.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced again adding qt4-libs.

Rerun QGIS and get 'LIBPQ.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding libpq.

Run QGIS and get 'zlib_osgeo.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding zlib.

Rerun QGIS and get 'gdal17.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding gdal17.

Rerun QGIS and get 'ogdi_32b1.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding ogdi.

Rerun QGIS and get 'libexpat.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding expat.

Rerun QGIS and get 'proj_fw.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding proj.

Rerun QGIS and still get 'proj_fw.dll not found' error.

Go into 'c:\OsGeo4W\bin' and copy 'proj.dll' to 'proj_fw.dll'.

Rerun QGIS and get 'xerces-c_2_7.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding xerces-c.

Rerun QGIS and get 'hdf_fw.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding hdf4 and hdf5.

Rerun QGIS and get 'jpeg_osgeo.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding libjpeg.

Rerun QGIS and get 'netcdf.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding netcdf.

Rerun QGIS and get 'geotiff.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding libgeotiff.

Rerun QGIS and get 'libtiff.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding libtiff.

Rerun QGIS and get 'jpeg12_osgeo.dll not found' error.

Rerun setup->advanced adding libjpeg12.

Rerun QGIS and get 'The procedure entry point jpeg_suppress_tables_12
could not be located in the dynamic link library jpeg12_osgeo.dll'
error.

At this point I'm stuck.  So I went and installed the stand-alone
QGIS.  That seems to work.

GDAL

Open OSGeo4W shell (not the full one with o-help, but the one that
installs by default).

Run gdal17 since I installed it above.

I run any gdal command and get 'MSVCR90.dll not found' error.

At this point I'm stuck here to.  I'm sure I can track down the Visual
C lib somewhere but
at this point I'm about ready to throw in the towel and go pickup the
prebuilt GDAL binaries and use them.

I really, really, really, want to like and use OSGeo4W, but it seems
every time I do I run into problems similar to this.