[osgeo4w-dev] Significant Problems installing QGIS

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Feb 1 16:11:46 EST 2011

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure what to suggest next, it works for me.

I just removed all traces I could find of osgeo4w from my machine,
namly: deleted c:\osgeo4w, removed startmenu entries, searched
registries for occurences of "osgeo4w" and deleted those branches
(excepting two Qt entries which I'm not sure about). Then ran
osgeo4w-setup.exe (dated 30/12/2010 12:30 PM and 377,856 bytes),
selected Express Install and just the QGIS and GDAL packages; defaults
for all other choices. Start Menu items were created and qgis fires up
without error.

My computer is Win7-pro x64.

My best guess for what is happening to you is a permissions issue. Is
the username you login as a member of the local administrators group?
(Start>Run: "compmgmt.msc" > Local users and groups > groups >
administrators)

You could try the commandline apt.py installer with python and see if
that works for you, or at least displays some error messages which would
help narrow down the problem:

1. If you don't have python already, download and install PortablePython
2.6 (http://www.portablepython.com/wiki/PortablePython1.1Py2.6.1)

2. Get the current version of apt.py*
(http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/export/1169/trunk/apt/apt.py)
    * pkg-apt Overview: http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-apt

3. Open a command prompt and set environment to use above (put attached
portapy.bat in same directory as PythonShell-Portable.exe), remove .txt
extension to use).

4. Run portapy.bat and from that shell the following commands:
{{{
set osgeo4w_root=c:\osgeo4w
python apt.py setup
python apt.py install qgis gdal
}}}

Tip: To avoid downloading the package archives again: after running "apt
setup" edit or create c:\osgeo4w\etc\setup\last-cache and put the path
to where the downloads are, minus the http* section, e.g.:

    C:\osgeo4w-setup

instead of "C:\osgeo4w-setup\http%3a%2f%2fdownload.osgeo.org%2fosgeo4w"

5. From this point open a new command prompt and run
"c:\osgeo4w\bin\qgis.bat" *should* work (or 2x click in Windows Explorer).

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment