[osgeo4w-dev] LASzip package to be added

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:31:23 EST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> On 11-01-03 03:55 PM, Howard Butler wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Consider this notice of my adding an LGPL package for compressing LiDAR data
>> by Martin Isenburg called "LASzip".  It is to be used by libLAS and
>> potentially other LiDAR processing softwares.  It will be a simple (single)
>> DLL with no GUI or command-line utilities, and a -devel package with .lib
>> and include files for developers wishing to build up on it.
>
> Howard,
>
> If the .lib and include files are not terribly large, could I convince you
> to just package the dll, lib. and include files all in one laszip package?
> I'm mildly concerned about package proliferation with the advanced lists
> getting harder to navigate as there are many many packages.

No problem.  I'd be happy to remove the liblas-devel and liblas-python packages as well and collate them into a single package as well.  I was just following the seemingly established pattern.  If we are not so rigorously tied to it, it makes it much easier for users to only have to click one thing.

Howard