[osgeo4w-dev] Mapnik in osgeo4w

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon May 2 15:11:37 EDT 2011

Hi Roel,

On Mon, 02. May 2011 at 16:16:48 +0200, Roel Vanhout wrote:
> A more general question: do the osgeo4w packages focus on cygwin/mingw
> or Visual Studio builds, too? Is there an introduction I can read for devs to
> get up to speed, apart from the trac wiki

Most packages are built with Visual C++ (various versions).  AFAIK only GRASS
is built with MinGW and the installer using cygwin (as it's derived from the
cygwin installer).

Most library packages offer C APIs which are favoured over C++ API to avoid C++
ABI instabilities.  Those libraries also include functions to free resources
allocated by the libraries internally to allow the use of mixed runtime
libaries (copeing with the "runtime library incompatibility hell" - not that we
didn't have problems in that direction - mostly in GRASS).

So Qt is and exception - it's built with Visual C++ 2008 (VC9). As are
depending packages like QGIS and PyQt.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden