[osgeo4w-dev] Re: [osgeo4w] #219: Upgrade python version

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Mon May 2 17:37:22 EDT 2011

> I were going to proceed with the update, I'd opt for setting up a secondary
> repository (osgeo4w-setup has an option -s to point to a different rep for
> testing - not sure about apt).

I've setup a mirror at http://o4w-mirror.dreamhosters.com/repository/

At present it's a dumb mirror, meaning we can't use the server to
calculate the md5sums and regenerate the setup.ini file. This could be
changed but as I'm not familiar with how that works it could take awhile.

I don't have any bandwidth or space limitations on this server, but
there is a conceptual one, it's not "mine", so this can't be a long term
solution.  This also means I can't add user accounts for package
maintainers.

apt has a --mirror=... switch that works, though there have been some
wrinkles with it which I'm not sure have been ironed out yet.

> We could then put the new python there and start migrating the rest - without
> any disturbance to the main repository.  Once we're content with the new
> repository, we just need to move the new packages to the original repository...

python2.7 package is in the ./release/python directory and I manually
patched setup.ini to use it.

-matt