[osgeo4w-dev] nightly-build packages for gdal and geos

Giuseppe Sucameli brush.tyler at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 13:39:33 EST 2011

Hi Frank,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Generally speaking development versions of GDAL are not suitable for
> applications to build on since the ABI could change from day to day.

ABI could change, but if somebody downloads a -dev version he should
know about this, either it could not work as expected or don't work at all.

> Also, once someone has installed
> the daily they will get new updates every time they try to refresh packages.

If it's a daily-build, of course every day it should have updates :)
And if someone installs it and then refreshes packages he probably wants
to update dev packages as well.

> I'm unwilling to do it for GDAL.

I'm afraid because I think it may be a good thing,
but anyway I want to point out that the OSGeo4W setup has a gdal-dev
package and it points to a version of gdal already released (v1.8).

If you're unwilling to set a gdal daily package up, then it would be
proper to rename it (I've filed ticket #244).

Best regards.

--
Giuseppe Sucameli