[osgeo4w-dev] python 2.7 as default: would anything significant break?

Matt Wilkie maphew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 00:42:39 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I've been reviewing the current state of Python 2.7 in Osgeo4w, and
trying to figure out what the next steps are to move this project
forward. I confess to being unsure what that might be. That coupled
with the fact the testing repository setup.ini is not updateable at
the moment got me wondering "well, what if we just made it the
default, and fixed whatever breaks?".

That would be fine with me, but I don't know what to with gass-devel,
wxpython, mapnik and the other unknown packages
(http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/RequiresPython) normally let alone
how to test if they're broken! Soooo, what do you folks think? What
specific things can we do to advance upgrading python?

--
-matt