[osgeo4w-dev] Proposing OrfeoToolbox integration in OSGeo4W

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Tue Oct 18 09:06:40 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Following a recent announcement [1], the Orfeo Toolbox can now be
interfaced with Qgis in an easily maintainable way.

I compiled the set of necessary binaries as an osgeo4w-friendly package,
that is, a ZIP which can be unpacked in OSGeo4W installation tree and
provide support for OTB within QGis.
As said in the mail, the package can be found at [2], and is nightly
generated (starting today). It is a set of DLL, plus a Python 2.5 module
(swig generated).

It is not linked to QGis directly (the glue is in python), but uses a
lot of libraries/software already available in OSGeo4W (gdal, tiff,
geotiff, jpeg, swig, pyhon25...). The same binaries can be used with
both the release and the dev version of Qgis.

The ultimate solution for providing those binaires to our windows users
would be a real integration into OSGeo4W.
I would very much like to hear the opinion of people here about this.
If the community is OK to proceed for such integration, then we can
further study how it can be done cleanly (I'm a newbie to OSGeo4W
packaging, so I have several questions...). We also have other
OTB-related softwares that would strongly benefit an integration in OSGeo4W.
We, the Orfeo Toolbox developer team, would be of course available for
maintaining the packages in the long term.

Looking forward to read your opinion,
Julien

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2011-October/016275.html
[2] http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/packages/nightly/latest/