[osgeo4w-dev] python - vs 2003

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 13 12:56:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build new wxpython package for osgeo4w. In osgeo4w shell I run
>
> python setup.py build
>
> which end up with
>
> running build_ext
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

Martin,

My experience has been that you can use a different visual studio
but that you have to somehow outsmart the damn setup.py logic.
I did it by creating a BAT file for the GDAL Python bindings
that does the build and link stage without setup.py.

http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/swig/python/fallback_build.bat

I did fiddle around in setup.py trying to find a better way but
failed.  The magic is great when it works and a curse when it
fails.