[osgeo4w-dev] PATH variable issue

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Mon Dec 10 10:45:26 PST 2012

Hi Klo,   welcome to Osgeo4w :)

We choose to add osgeo4w PATH at the end of the system path on purpose,
in order to play lightly and cooperatively with what is already there.
If we changed to inserting o4w to the beginning of PATH there would be
other people upset because now our exe's and dll's would be found first
instead of something else. Unfortunately there is no solution for all.
I'm happy that you at least have found a solution for your environment.

In any case, o4w at beginning or end of path doesn't solve the
fundamental problem: multiple and possibly conflicting installs of the
same thing in one system. Without a fair amount of work keeping each of
them in sync (same modules installed for each) you'll often run into
trouble, and troubleshooting is a real pain. It's really much better to
only have one python active in the environment at a time.

One thing which /may /help, depending on the particulars of the other
bundled python packages you mention, is to install o4w first and
register it's python as the system default for v2.7 before installing
the other programs. See
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/ExternalPythonPackages and
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/114

best regards,