[osgeo4w-dev] PATH variable issue

klo uo klonuo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:06:20 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Matt Wilkie wrote:

>  Hi Klo,   welcome to Osgeo4w :)

Thanks Matt :)

> We choose to add osgeo4w PATH at the end of the system path on purpose, in
> order to play lightly and cooperatively with what is already there.  If we
> changed to inserting o4w to the beginning of PATH there would be other
> people upset because now our exe's and dll's would be found first instead
> of something else. Unfortunately there is no solution for all. I'm happy
> that you at least have found a solution for your environment.

OK then, if that is deliberate decision, but again I can't think why can
that be, as that's just inside o4w environment. By launching o4w shell, I
guess user would expect that o4w commands prevail instead same found on
system path?

> In any case, o4w at beginning or end of path doesn't solve the fundamental
> problem: multiple and possibly conflicting installs of the same thing in
> one system. Without a fair amount of work keeping each of them in sync
> (same modules installed for each) you'll often run into trouble, and
> troubleshooting is a real pain. It's really much better to only have one
> python active in the environment at a time.

Yes, but also to have python environment at any time without batch scripts.
There are programs that won't recognize Python is present, if there is not
python executable in path, although batch command with same name is in path.
In o4w case a changed OSGeo4W.bat by hiding system Python:

set path=%path:C:\Python27;=%
set path=%path:C:\Python27\Scripts;=%

> One thing which *may *help, depending on the particulars of the other
> bundled python packages you mention, is to install o4w first and register
> it's python as the system default for v2.7 before installing the other
> programs. See http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/ExternalPythonPackagesand
> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/114

Thanks. I'll consider that if I build new system, and when I learn that o4w
follows Python trend.
I see there are 2 Pythons inside - 2.5 and 2.7, and guess that pairing
current Python version is not always trivial is environments as o4w

best regards,