[osgeo4w-dev] Proposal: starting 64 bit package tree

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 03:13:16 EST 2012

[...]
> Anything that is available as 64 bit. My primary concern right now is
> QGIS, gdal/ogr. There's work on a current bug right now in QGIS where
> printing and some other operations might be limited by memory.
> Eventually everything will be available as 64 bit and we should just be
> ahead of the trend.

Sounds good to me.

>> I can only speak from a java tribe point of view. I would be happy to
>> do so. At first thought we would some parts with native components and
>> others that are interpreted and therefore for both OS. So I assume
>> something should be done at installer level also? Just thinking loud.
>>
>> Anyways I would be very happy to load a 64 bit Java environment and uDig.
>>
> Does Java installed on the end user machine needs to be 64 bit in order
> to run a 64 bit jar?

Yes. There would be two JVM in the tree. And those java apps that have
native components will need to be duplicated, while the "Pure" ones
should have just one copy but then pick the right (OS dependent) JVM
tree. Maybe that is too complex and they should all be duplicated for
now?

Thanks,
Andrea