[osgeo4w-dev] work on a new python package (2.7.2-3)

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Mar 30 15:18:28 EDT 2012

> I think that anything that ships with default python.org should be
> included in some way, be that as part of the main package or a separate
> package. So long as it isn't harder to maintain.

I've decided to separate the core python binaries and the o4w
environment settings into different packages. This will allow us to more
easily tweak the latter without requiring people to download a 16mb
tarball for every little change.

Package "python" will be an empty meta package that includes:

  - python-core: (10mb) core .exe and runtime
  - python-help: (6mb) compiled help file
  - python-wrapper: (<1mb) o4w specific environment settings

Conceivably tcl/tk and other things could be split into separate
packages as well but I don't know enough about those to undertake that
(and don't know that the extra work warranted either). I believe this
structure will be largely invisible to existing users upgrading.

I've built the packages and will start uploading and testing shortly.

-matt