[osgeo4w-dev] revision control the whole darn thing

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Nov 14 10:08:24 PST 2012

> Simply ssh to upload.osgeo.org,  extract the package, modify what you
 > need and tar it up again. That's what I do, when I have minor
 > changes like the above.

I've done the same on occasion. That only alleviates some of the waste
for the packager though, users still end up downloading redundant data.
I've been trying to think of something that would alleviate it on both
sides.

> I've come to the conclusion  that git is not very appropriate for
 > versioning binaries. Partly this is because it seems every
 > clone/client gets a whole copy of the repository including all
 > historical versions.

Oh. So I guess the takeaway is that is space wasteful as what we're
doing is, we could be consuming even more! The simplistic idea I used
for splitting python into python-core and python-wrapper doesn't seem so
bad now. :)

-matt