[osgeo4w-dev] [Qgis-developer] 64bit Windows version

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Mon Nov 19 08:48:28 PST 2012

> My approach is that we should  create a parallel branch of osgeo4w for
 > the 64 bit versions, call it beta or whatever while we work on
 > getting everything added and make it so people can install both 32
 > and 64 on the same computer without issue.

Speaking specifically to parallel installs, excepting desktop shortcuts
and menu items that should be no problem as Osgeo4w -- meaning the
shell, gdal/ogr and other command line utilities -- is pretty much
portable as is. Applications within the system are a mixed bag, with
some portable and others not (and I don't know which are which).

The menus and shortcut items can be solved with a simple name change,
e.g. "Osgeo4w 64bit shell".

On the packaging and download mirror side of things, it would be nice if
the 64bit packages were in a single tree rather than
"foobaz_x64.tar.bz2" intermingled with regular packages throughout. The
simple way to do this is just create a new tree off the root, with it's
own setup.ini, the same way we did for 'testing':

/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/release
/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/testing
/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/x64

However this is just a silo, and we lose the ability to share packages.
I don't know if this is an actual issue. If every single application
needs to be recompiled and packaged, there's no issue, but if a
duplicated tree means repacking (a significant number of) things then we
might be better served with a single shared tree and distinct .ini's.

/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/release
/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/release/x64

/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/release/setup.ini
/osgeo/download/osgeo4w/release/setup_x64.ini

I favour the second approach, but my role here is pretty small. :)

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst
Information Management and Technology
Yukon Department of Environment