[osgeo4w-dev] CoApp reminder

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Apr 2 03:26:04 PDT 2013

Hi,

Some time ago, I posted about the CoApp project to Discuss [1].
After last updates in the project, I think it is a good idea to
post reminder, as I think it has potential for OSGeo4W.

For those who don't know what CoApp is,
here is video with a good overview [2]

Recently, CoApp teamed up with NuGet to develop support for
native packages. Garrett Serack, lead developer, posted long
awaited update [3] about this initiative.

I think that it may be useful to take a look at CoApp and consider it as
packaging platform while reviewing current status of OSGeo4W.
CoApp embraces Microsoft's technologies (like side-by-side assemblies)
that have been unknown, neglected and avoided but which solve many
problems related to deployment, versioning and dependencies, etc.
For example, it reduces or eliminates the well-known DLL hell problems.

I have been watching CoApp for some time and despite I haven't done any
production-ready packaging myself yet, I think CoApp has great potential
and future for FOSS packaging. OSGeo4W could benefit of CoApp adoption.

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2011-November/009825.html
[2] http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Charles/Garrett-Serack-Open-Source-on-Windows-and-the-CoApp-Project
[3] http://coapp.org/news/2013-03-27-The-Long-Awaited-post.html