[osgeo4w-dev] New installer (and OSGeo4W 64bit)

Lord Flaubert Steve Ataucuri Cruz lord.ataucuri at ucsp.edu.pe
Mon Aug 12 11:25:47 PDT 2013

2013/8/12 Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de>

> [this is about pending installer work - not a 64bit osgeo4w announcement
> yet]
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> in the last weeks I've made a 64bit build of OSGeo4W (mainly QGIS and
> dependencies; including GDAL 1.10 with most plugins, GEOS 3.4, python
> 2.7.5, Qt
> 4.8.5).  A few packages were copied from the 32bit distribution (eg. msys
> or
> the proj grid packages).
>
> I uploaded it to /osgeo/download/osgeo4w/testing64 (~500MB).

Great work!

> The upload also includes the "sources".  It contains the build recipes in a
> osgeo4w/ directory that belongs into the individual source directory (and
> the
> scripts each have a comment where the not included source was optained
> from).
> Unfortunatly in a non-cygwin way (noticed to late) and therefore the src
> packages need to be obtained and processed manually (and installing them
> with
> the installer probably creates a mess).
>
> Also included are license files for most packages ($pkg-$ver-$pver.txt, but
> also *.pdf and *.rtf) - for free and non-free licensed packages.

Actually the installer only support  a txt file as a license

> There's also updated genini script that picks up the licenses and includes
> their size and md5 checksum into the setup.ini and a osgeo4w-setup.exe
> (32bit)
> that's able to handle the new format (with the attached patch applied),
> does
> handled the -s parameter so that a "foreign" site can be used and runs as
> admin.
>
> As you might notice I didn't differentiate between free and non-free
> licenses.
> And therefore there are a lot of licenses the installer will show and
> request
> to accept.

It wasn't the idea, the installer only will show a license for restrictive
packages , there are only three or four packages. Only few packages will
have "license" entry in "setup.ini" file, not all.

> Not sure if we want that - but I think a license is a license and we
> shouldn't
> choose non-free licenses over free one and the free license should at
> least be
> shown in a as prominent place as the non-free ones.

I thought the md5sum would help to identify where the same license applies,
> but
> I just notices that it doesn't even work for the GPL (lots of minor
> difference
> in the files).  So that would need a different approach.  Any thoughts?
>
> I don't understand you how md5sum might help to licenses, could you
explain us in more detail way, please? or someone could give us another
point of view.

> More installer observations (probably at least partly already on Steve's
> todo
> list):

Thanks by your feedback I am working on it today

- the license display widget doesn't resize in the installer

Done

> - Line breaks don't show well
> - Apparently the license display is (sometimes?) truncated and shows junk
> at
>   the end.
> - It doesn't track licenses that have already been agreed to (ie. on
>   reinstall).  Maybe we should also store them somewhere and produce
> license
>   shortcuts in the program group (or just one to the directory).
> - How should non-text licenses (PDF, RTF) be handled?  I suppose we could
> just
>   convert them to .txt in regen.sh.

Yes I think it should be convert to .txt I dont know if it is easy to do.

> - The program group name is not configurable (ie. OSGEO4W_STARTMENU) -
> multiple
>   OSGeo4W installs overwrite each others shortcuts.
>
> For the QGIS standalone installer I was planning to collect all the license
> files into one LICENSE.txt that is presented on install.  Maybe that's
> also an
> approach for the osgeo4w installer.   Collect the licenses, present them
> in a
> large scrollable list and allow to accept them all at once.

My mentor Frank told me this process had to do for each restrictive package
but it can work if you collect all licenses files into one license.

Best regards,
Steve

I'd like to have the new installer working for the QGIS 2.0 release (in

--
Steve Ataucuri Cruz
School of Computer Science,