[osgeo4w-dev] Testing OSGeo4W 64bit

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 19:13:10 PDT 2013

Hi again,

Testing a second round, I have different results. I downloaded a fresh
32-bit version of osgeo4w-setup.exe, ran it once, and now the 64-bit
version is acting differently/better.

On 27 August 2013 13:19, Mike Toews <mwtoews at gmail.com> wrote:
> When going into the advanced install select packages view, all of the
> "size" items have "?", unless it was previously installed or it is
> changed from "Skip" to "[version]" to install, then it shows the size
> value in "k" (kilobytes?)

This isn't really an issue at all. Just different behaviour to the
previous version.

> Many of the dependencies don't seem to select the other packages. Some
> do, for example "zlib-devel" will automatically include "zlib". But
> others don't, like "python-numpy" doesn't select "python" or anything
> else.

Ok, now they work as expected.

> Selecting "gdal-filegdb" does not prompt anything, and "gdal-ecw" is
> not found in the list.

Ok, I found "gdal-ecw". Also, the licences are displayed after
pressing Next. This feature looks good.

> The Start menu has an empty OSGeo4W folder.

This might have been related to not having "Add to Start Menu"
selected, as I see most (but not all) items as before.

> After re-running the 32-bit osgeo-setup.exe once, the 64-bit
> osgeo-setup.exe displays a message after clicking "Next" on the
> "Select Your Internet Connection" page:
>
> """
> OSGeo4W Setup - Use dropped mirrors?
> Warning: One or more mirrors you have selected is/are not on thelist
> of official OSGeo4W mirrors any more. It/They may be out of date or
> missing some packages. This affects the following mirror(s):
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w
>
> If you experience installation problems consider trying official mirrors only.
> Do you want to continue, using this/these mirror(s)?
> [ ] Don't warn me about this/these mirror(s) again
> (Yes) (No)
> """
> where (No) has the default focus.
>
> I don't recall seeing this dialog on the first run of the 64-bit
> version, but only after running the 32-bit version once. I'm not sure
> how to reset this dialog (it's in the registry, right?)

And after re-running a fresh download of the 32-bit version once, then
running the 64-bit version, I don't see this anymore.

However, I have a new dialog after selecting and installing "qgis",
and seeing: Running... qgis-common /etc/postinstall/qgis-common.bat

""""
crssync.exe - System Error
The program can't start because libpng16.dll is missing from your
computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. [OK]
"""

Upon rerunning the installer, "libpng" was previously unselected
(missing dependency?). After selecting/installing this package, QGIS
appears to run, but I see two Python errors when starting up:

1) Couldn't load plugin earthbeat due an error when calling its
classFactory() method

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis/./python\qgis\utils.py", line 164, in startPlugin
    plugins[packageName] = package.classFactory(iface)

2) Couldn't load plugin midvatten due an error when calling its
classFactory() method

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/OSGeo4W/apps/qgis/./python\qgis\utils.py", line 164, in startPlugin
    plugins[packageName] = package.classFactory(iface)

After this, everything seems normal. Awesome work!

-Mike