[osgeo4w-dev] Binary inconpatible GDAL plugin for Oracle

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at princeton-ma.us
Thu Feb 28 06:30:30 PST 2013

Hi Jürgen,

Thank you for taking the time to sort that out.

OK. Here is the error message that comes just after open the OSGeo4W shell command line. I don't know if you have ever noticed that by some Windows message can be copied&pasted as text, so here is the message in text format:

[Window Title]
gdalinfo.exe

[Main Instruction]
gdalinfo.exe has stopped working

[Content]
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

[Close the program] [Debug the program]

Here is the result of running ogrinfo (with debugging):

C:\>ogrinfo oci:scott/tiger at orcl --debug on
OCI: Userid=scott, Password=tiger, Database=orcl
OCI: Prepare(ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT='YYYY/MM/DD' NLS_TIME_FORMAT='HH24:MI:SS' NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT='HH24:MI:SS TZHTZM' NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT='YYYY/MM/DD  H24:MI:SS'         NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT='YYYY/MM/DD HH24:MI:SS TZHTZM')
OCI: Prepare(SELECT TABLE_NAME, OWNER FROM ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA)

C:\>

As you can see there is no error message (printed or in a GUI) and the debugging doesn't return any hint.

And here my work around. Like I said before, I copy the plugins from these gisinternals.com/sdk installers:

- gdal-19-1600-core.msi
- gdal-19-1600-oracle.msi

C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\1.9>copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\GDAL\gdalplugins\gdal_GEOR.dll" .
        1 file(s) copied.

C:\OSGeo4W\bin\gdalplugins\1.9>copy "C:\Program Files (x86)\GDAL\gdalplugins\ogr_OCI.dll" .
        1 file(s) copied.

After that command, launching the OSGeo4W shell doesn't give me any error, all GDAL command line works perfectly with Oracle drivers. Quantum GIS also works well with Raster or Vector coming from a Oracle Spatial connection.

To make sure that the issue was not related to the OCI.DLL installed by OSGeo4W installer, I put my instant client up front on the PATH:

C:\>set PATH=C:\instantclient_11_2;%PATH%

By doing that, nothing changes, the original OSGeo4W DLL doesn't work and the one from Tamasz work, as long as it is VC 1600 compiled.

So are you going to update the OSGeo4W installer with the ones you re-compiled?

Could you please let me know when is it ready, so I can give it a try?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Ivan