[osgeo4w-dev] mapscript python, mapserver-dev

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 28 12:23:53 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Il 28/06/2013 17:21, Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have rebuilt the mapscript-python package to built based on mapserver6
> > instead of mapserver and it should be working now.
>
> Hi Frank,
> I think there is a problem with dependencies here: in osgeo4w, mapscripts
> depends on
> mapserver, which in turn depends on apache2. This is a problem, e.g. for a
> desktop
> use (we utilize mapscript for our qgis mapfile exporter).
> I suggest therefore to make the dependency optional.

Paolo,

Hmm, I see your point.  The MapScript package does need the mapserver dll,
but doesn't otherwise need a fully functioning mapserver environment.  In
an ideal world there would be a "meta" mapserver package which might pull
in apache, but there would also be a mapserv_lib package which just pulls
in the library - enough to run mapscript.

I don't control the mapserver package, so this is really something that
would need to be discussed on the osgeo4w-dev list with Alan and others.
 Do you want me to initiate that conversation or should I?

warmerdam at pobox.com