[osgeo4w-dev] Using cmake of osgeo projects?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jun 28 15:48:20 PDT 2013

On 28 June 2013 23:17, Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com> wrote:
> Sorry for hitting multiple mailing lists...
>
> I'm currently going through the process of compiling various packages
> for Windows (proj, libtiff/geotiff, gdal, libLAS) and hitting the
> various (but typical) bumps...
> [...]
>
> libLAS already uses cmake.  But it appears to be the exception in the
> realm of geospatial software.  Is there any interest in adopting cmake
> for other packages?

CMake has been added for libgeotiff long time go, but it may need
refreshing:
http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/17

CMake for GEOS has been added too, it seems it's getting some more
attention now (thanks to Regina who is switching form GNU autotools).

There is also a prototype of CMake for PostGIS (incomplete though):
https://github.com/mloskot/postgis/tree/cmake-build

Some time ago, there was attempt to bring CMake for GDAL:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/CMake

Adding PROJ.4 should be easy.

Experiences show, that unless a project core team is willing to switch to
a new build system, then it is very difficult to keep the additional build
configuration maintained.
And, without continuous maintenance, such new build will unlikely
cross the chasm.

Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net