[osgeo4w-dev] Using cmake of osgeo projects?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Jun 29 18:05:49 PDT 2013

On 29 June 2013 15:10, Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2013 06:48 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> Experiences show, that unless a project core team is willing to switch to
>> a new build system, then it is very difficult to keep the additional build
>> configuration maintained.
>

> This goes without saying.  I will note that because cmake so obviously
> fills an otherwise unmet need, it typically faces little resistance from
> developers who have to maintain platforms on multiple cross-platforms.

I don't know what's typical, regarding developer's reaction on CMake adoption
proposal, but as a big fan of CMake, I wouldn't paint it in pink colours only.

Thus, I understand, for example, Frank's experience may be very different.

Finally, if a software has a build system that is usable and works on
all supported
platforms, I also understand a team may go for lean approach: don't change it.

Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net