[osgeo4w-dev] boost library: Call for new package

A Huarte ahuarte47 at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 7 00:52:48 PST 2013

Hi, I want improve the rendering of vector features in QGIS all possible. This fantastic GIS desktop is very slow when it renders large datasets for far map scales.

I have opened a new branch of code in the repository of QGIS (http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8725) to fix it and drawing tests give me ~3x faster that original code.

But there is other important improvement related with data reading. I have experience with "FileMapping" capability which does the read of files very fast. I don't see in OSGeo4W any library package that provide support for this capability. There any?

If it does not exist and the community considers interesting to add this support, I propose "boost" http://www.boost.org/ (or part thereof) that provides this functionality. It is cross-platform and open-source.

Could OSGeo4W add this package?
What think?

Best regards