[osgeo4w-dev] Deprecate a package

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Mon Nov 18 07:38:21 PST 2013

Hi all,

I cannot update anymore a package (otb-wrapping-python).

The reason does not matter much here, but for the record it is because
of a switch in build tools (vc8->vc10) for the main OTB lib, and the
otb-wrapping-python fails to build with vc10.
The current version available for download is now binary incompatible
with its dependency, which have been updated to a newer version.

I would be better if I deprecated the package to avoid users installing it.

Is there a procedure for this ? Shall I simply delete the corresponding
directory from the osgeo server ?
Or just rename the setup.hint to keep the binaries around ?

Is there a way to enforce uninstallation of this package on users machines ?
Is releasing a new empty tar.bz2 package recommended or discouraged ?

Any advice welcome,

Thanks,
Julien