[osgeo4w-dev] mapserver/mapscript packages for osgeo4w

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 00:04:41 PST 2014

Hi Paolo, Jürgen

In my preference the same directory structure for osgeo4w and osgeo4w_64
would be a reasonable choice. Currently we have a "mapserver" directory
which can be promoted to host the release versions. But I'm now about to
provide the latest builds for the master and the stable branches which
would apply for 2 different directories. I could also provide builds for
the release version, but it will more likely break something for the
existing stuff so it should be just a later phase when we should gather
experiences with that.

My biggest concern about this concept (as I've already raised that at the
conference) is that we cannot make sure that providing a new package will
not break the upper level packages which depend on the package added. And
the package author may not have experiences to compile all the upper level
packages to make sure about all aspects. We should instead automate the
whole build process in the osgeo4w server which would make it easier to
recompile the whole bundle.

The current directory structure is not quite right regarding to the package
versions. The major releases are definitely not binary compatible with the
earlier releases, and it is up to the project how they handle the
compatibility between the minor releases. In this regard at least each
major release should go to a different directory, but sometimes the minor
releases should also be in different location (depending on the project)

To sum up these I would somewhat suggest to use these directories:

mapserver/mapserver5  - To contain the 5.x releases
mapserver/mapserver6 - To contain the 6.x releases
mapserver-dev - To contain the daily snapshot from the master branch
mapserver-stable  -  To contain the daily snapshot from the current stable
branch

Each directory should contain the corresponding mapscript packages in
subdirectories. It is discouraged to submit just the core package, the
authors should compile all the mapscript packages (and the plugins) in the
same build session.

(added osgeo4w-dev to the cc list)

Best regards,

Tamas