[osgeo4w-dev] Including gvSIG on OSGeo4W

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 08:11:32 PST 2015

Hi Jürgen, Cesar,

>> Hi, I am Cesar Martinez Izquierdo, from the gvSIG development team.
>> We are interested on including gvSIG on the OSGeo4W distribution.
>> Is there any specific requirement to do so (in addition to prepare a
>> packaging as described on [1])?
>
> No, but I'm not sure of the state java and dependencies are in.   I think it
> was introduced for udig and beegis, which were meanwhile removed.  java is
> still there, but probably in a bad shape.

I will jump in as previous uDig and java maintainer for some clarification.
java is still there because I thought other projects would use it. But
it is in great shape, i.e. works properly.

The problem with java is that one xml library of it conflicts with
some other package and it has been suggested in the past that java
would therefore be installed as an application.
I didn't do it, because at that time I was withdrawing the uDig
packages anyways and though that the next maintainer of java would do
that.

> The gdal java bindings are currently unmaintained too and I'm not sure if
> anyone uses the java mapscript bindings.
>
> And that's all the java support there is.  I guess you have to also adopt java
> if you want to add gvsig - preferable in a way that other stuff can also make
> of it (eg. to bring back gdal-java).

That is the problem and should be first discussed. I am not sure who
makes use of java-gdal bindings in osgeo4w, but several have stated
that a "general" java might give problems with other packages.
It might be good to check who still depends on java and evaluate if it
is better to insert java in the gvSIG installation.

Cesar, if you are at the gvSIG conference next week, we can take a
moment and I can help you to create the first gvSIG package and show
you how it is done.

Best regards,
Andrea