[osgeo4w-dev] GDAL tools that are Python scripts still need Python2 in OSGeo4W

Pedro Venâncio pedrongvenancio at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 08:19:20 PST 2019

Hi all,

I've a clean OSGeo4W install and I was trying to use some GDAL tools like
gdal2xyz or rgb2pct, but I was getting an error of missing module in
Python3:

python3 -m rgb2pct -n 2 -of GTiff D:\orto_teste.tif D:/orto_teste_pct.tif
GDAL command output:
C:\OSGEO4~1\bin\python3.exe: No module named rgb2pct

To overcome this issue, I had to install gdal-python, that still has
Python2 as dependency.

Where should this issue be solved? In GDAL or in OSGeo4W?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Pedro Venâncio