[OSGeoJapan-discuss] U.S. Trade Embargo and OSGeo

Jeff McKenna jmckenna @ gatewaygeomatics.com
2010年 2月 5日 (金) 01:57:31 EST

Hello everyone,

Last night at the OSGeo Board meeting an interesting topic was
discussed: very recently (25 January?) the U.S. Obama administration has
put pressure on Sourceforge.net to enforce their trade embargo on its
users[1] - meaning users in Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, Syria and Iran are
no longer able to download files from Sourceforge (their IPs are now
blocked).  Sourceforge has stated[2] that it is registered in the U.S.
and therefore has no choice but to follow U.S. laws[2], even though they
disagree with it.

OSGeo is also registered in the U.S. so there a lot of concern about
this issue.  OSGeo does have to follow U.S. export restrictions, and its
statement is visible here[3]

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo President) believes that the embargo can only be
applied to 'collaborative work' - and since all OSGeo projects are
collaborative, this new enforcement should not apply to OSGeo users.
However the OSGeo Board will now look into this (we may have to modify
the 'US_Export_Restrictions' wiki page to clarify how the embargo does
not affect our works).

I thought the Japan community should know about this recent issue.

[1] http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5698
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/US_Export_Restrictions