[Live-demo] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 01:40:27 PDT 2008

> So portable gis has applications already installed, and
> would run best from a memory stick, as opposed to the
> LiveDVD which currently has windows installers?

> This makes sense.
> I'm now wondering whether it would make sense for the
> portable GIS to be distributed via the LiveDVD as well, in
> order to maximise exposure of portableGIS to new users. (The
> LiveDVD is being handed out at conferences).
>
> "Want to try GeoFOSS on windows now? Go to the
> portable GIS directory, or for better performance, copy the
> portableGIS directory onto a memory stick and run from
> there."

For live USB on MS-Windows see also Firefox Portable Edition, and more
generally the other stuff at portableapps.com, e.g. Notepad++ Portable
Edition:
  http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
  http://portableapps.com/apps/development/notepadpp_portable

unlike Linux LiveDVD-R, I might speculate that the read-onliness of the
DVD could be a sticky problem on MS-Windows. (but via USB stick might work
ala portableapps approach)

..... and don't forget Mac OSX! IME many academics join FOSS because the
apps will run natively, while they have to use emulation/dual boot to run
"market leader" software, which is usually of limited support. For that
practical reason and a number of social reasons they are very easy
converts after the required exposure to the available options.
I would estimate that my dept is >60% apple (mostly biologists).

Hamish