[Live-demo] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Joanne Cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 00:38:32 PST 2008

Hi All,

I have a slight issue with tying portable gis in too closely with the portableapps project. I think portableapps is great, don't get me wrong, but it means that the onus is always on the developer to sort out upgrades and so on. As I see portable gis as a jumping off point for people to get into open source GIS, I want them to do be able to do their own upgrades, within reason. This is not always possible, as some of the programmes do need significant tweaks to batch files and so on, but in general if they want to load the latest version of qgis for example, it's easy. If I go down the portable apps route most people will need to wait for me to do it. Furthermore, I have plans to "modularise" it, so I don't want to tinker too much with the standard installations.

Yes, it would be nice to shrink the file size, but that's not all that important when memory sticks are so cheap.

Bringing the discussion back to the live-dvd- I like the idea of including it as an exe (which is how I will package the next release), and suggesting people install it if they like what they've seen on the dvd. I guess it would be nice to brand it better- perhaps more in-line with OSGeo, and to try and ensure that it has mostly the same versions of software- where possible.

Cheers

Jo

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development