[Live-demo] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Joanne Cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 01:57:04 PST 2008

Hi Alex,

I'm afraid I don't really see how using portableapps is really going to help in this case, if you don't know how to upgrade the packages, how will portableapps help, as you will be relying on someone making a new portable version of them? You won't be able to take the standard installation and simply replace the required components if they've been optimised. Plus, what you're saying is that you ran out of space when you loaded lots of other programmes onto the stick. I'm not really sure how I can help there!

I will freely admit that I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on the documentation for how the installation was done, and that is something I want to address when I can do (most of the information is out there on the internet, I just need to pull it together). I do think, however, that there are two fundamentally different reasons for using portable gis, and they different requirements. The first is your case- for it to be totally portable. In which case shrinking the apps is fine and makes a lot of sense. The second is to get people into using the software without going through the pain of the installation process. When they are happy using it, and want to explore further, they have an (almost) standard system to work with and upgrade as they see fit. That second option is my priority, and from feedback that I've had, it is the main priority of a lot of the other (900 ish) people who have downloaded the package.

Given that this is getting rather a long way off-topic- how about you give me chance to get the next version out, and then by all means take it and "portable-ize" it and see how things go from there?

Cheers

Jo

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development