[Live-demo] Motivations for the LiveDVD

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:14:37 PDT 2008

Earlier someone (Hamish?) asked about motivations re working on the
LiveDVD, or was it motivations for naming. Either way, I can't find the
email. And so in the interests of transparency, and hopefully to give
other potential implementers and sponsors some good business arguments
to justify spending time on this project, I thought I should list
LISAsoft's motivations.

LISAsoft has a business line based on "Geospatial Solutions enhanced
with Open Standards and Open Source". Ie, we derive business from
organisations who need help building solutions with Geospatial Open
Source Software, or software development organisations looking for a
geospatial partner. We focus primarily in the Australia/New Zealand
geographic area.
As part of our marketing effort, we are sponsoring the Live DVD and we
are putting significant effort in to organising FOSS4G and the
associated Geospatial Integration Showcase.

Sponsoring a Geospatial Live DVD helps LISAsoft achieve our goals in a
number of areas:
1. A liveDVD will introduce people to Geospatial Open Source, increasing
the number of users and hence number of potential customers for LISAsoft
services.

2. We want potential customers to associate LISAsoft with Geospatial
Open Source and the LiveDVD is a good avenue to demonstrate this.

3. We want potential customers to see that LISAsoft works
collaboratively with the Open Source community.

4. We want to be respected amongst our international GeoFOSS peers,
which in turn should lead to teaming opportunities, or positive references.

5. I see the liveDVD as being very beneficial for various parts of
FOSS4G and the Geospatial Showcase. Making these two events a success
should reflect well on LISAsoft, which in turn should build LISAsoft's
association with Geospatial Open Source for our potential customers.

6. This last reason doesn't work for management, but works really well
for us developers. The LiveDVD project is an "itch to scratch" for us
developers. It is a really cool project that we all want to work on. So
if we have a few spare minutes, it is what we would like to be working on.

--

Ok, that is why we are in on the project. I suspect that many others on
this list could use these same justifications for why you are getting

Geospatial Systems Architect