[Live-demo] LiveDVD, Portable GIS, osgeo4w

Joanne Cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 02:39:41 PDT 2008

Hi Cameron,

I guess I see the portable gis solution as being separate to the livedvd, in that it just takes the existing windows applications and makes them portable. So if you want windows programmes on your livedvd then that's a separate issue I think. I think the portable gis approach could be good for conferences where for some reason livedvds are not an option, or perhaps where (god forbid) you want people to be working in a windows environment rather than linux for the demo. Hope that makes sense!

Regarding osgeo4w- I had hoped that I would be able to use osgeo4w to build in the relevant components in portable gis, but just haven't had the time to work on it. It's due for an upgrade though, so that will be a good time to try! Portable GIS is supposed to work in those environments where there isn't an internet connection however, so I would only use it for the initial setup of the programmes.

All the best

Jo (archaeogeek)

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development