[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G2009 to reach those who cannot attend

sasha massimodisasha at yahoo.it
Tue Aug 4 07:23:22 PDT 2009

Hi All,

just little update,
i figure out on how to hack the remastersys script to have it running
on sidux.
The produced live.iso has a working network and using the remastersys-
installer
is possible to install the live on Hard-Drive.

I'm tring to make a .iso using debian repository where possible,
minimizing source installation to reduce its size.

  We need an apt-get list of packages to be included in the live.

have you preference about the disc size ?
maybe using more than one language + full gis sw environment the size
is around 2GB
and wi'll increase adding local data and tutorials.

Massimo.

Il giorno 02/ago/09, alle ore 23:18, Cameron Shorter ha scritto:

> Massimo,
> I'm very impressed with how far you seem to have gone with the
> development of a live-dvd, and am hopeful that you will be
> interested to use your expertise to craft the foss4g liveDVD.
>
> Have you had a look at the Arramagong LiveDVD yet. At the moment,
> this is the most recent LiveDVD which has been created, and includes
> a number of the projects not packaged yet. In particular, a number
> of the Java projects like GeoServer.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Arramagong_Links
>
> Stefan,
> I think you created a wiki somewhere explaining what was on the
> Arramagong LiveDVD and how to build it, but I can't put my fingers
> on it. Can you please point us in the right direction.
>
> Massimo Di Stefano wrote:
>> I tried to answer this mail ..
>>
>> apologize me if it will be a bit confused and for any my mistake.
>>
>> i'm newbie in live-dvd preparation so maybe is possible i'm
>> ignoring something
>> but i hope you can point me on the right direction to follow.
>>

>> Il giorno 01/ago/09, alle ore 13:28, Cameron Shorter ha scritto:
>>
>>> Maning, Massimo, Alex, Ravi,
>>>
>>> Thank you all for your kinds offers of help with the LiveDVD. This
>>> is greatly appreciated, will be very valuable, and will also make
>>> space for the overly committed FOSS4G local organising committee
>>> to focus on the other aspects of the FOSS4G conference.
>>>
>>> As I see it, this is what needs to be done:
>>> 1. Anyone who is interested, please subscribe to the live-dvd
>>> email list, where we can continue the rest of this discussion. http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/live-demo
>>
>> i'm already subscribed to the list,
>> i read the previouse topic and i agree that the main distro to be
>> used must be a debian/debian-based distro.
>>
>> as live-builder system, i'm tring the remastersys tool
>> i find it really complete and works fine on ubuntu and debian but
>> need to be hacked to works on sidux.
>> (the best solution for me is to have a custom script to produce a
>> live.iso from an installed linux-distro based on sidux, i prefer to
>> chose sidux beacouse it has updated packages (it include the debian-
>> gis repository, and beacouse has an updated kernel and some
>> virtualizzation .. is the only distro that works fine on my HW
>> "macbook pro 15'' 2,2 with ati 1600 video card))
>>

>>> The wiki associated with this project is at:
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Live_DVD
>>> and