[Live-demo] LiveDVD from GISVM?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Aug 20 14:22:03 PDT 2009

Richardo,
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how we should feed updates back
into the GISVM project.

Should we set up an GISVM image somewhere, which both of us can rsync
from to keep a local copy to work with? Would that work?
Is is workable to put files into subversion, or maybe into an ubuntu
Personal Package Archive (of which I have little experience)?

Ricardo Pinho wrote:
> One recent idea of mine is to use dropbox to share data (shared folder) so users could sync data after they start using the VM (and then download)
> What do you think of this... it's a dinamic way... to keep demos updated and to increase more demos over time!

I think that 95% of the GISVM and LiveDVD users will be newbies, so
everything should be as simple as possible. Ie, this functionality
should be hidden from the end user.

It could be incorporated into the LiveDVD or GISVM production process,
so that someone putting together a LiveDVD or GISVM to support their
tutorial session can easily build examples into their version of
Geoserver/Mapserver/UDig/etc.

Geospatial Systems Architect