[Live-demo] More ideas on collaborative development

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Tue Aug 25 05:00:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

> 1. Write install scripts for each application, and put these scripts into subversion:
> I suggest we create bash install scripts for each application we want on the LiveDVD.
> These scripts will contain all the steps necessary to install a project.
> Ie, we would have one script for geoserver, one for mapserver, one for qgis, etc.

R1.
I agree, but it's more easily said then done... ;-)
Because some steps are not easily implemented with scripts. (at least for me!)
I'm thinking about config editing, for example...

> 2. Xubuntu:
> I suggest that we use Xubuntu as a basis for the
GISVM instead of Ubuntu,
> as it is specifically designed to run on a low
powered environment,
> but still runs all the Ubuntu packages.

R2.
I agree, no dough about it! ;-)

> 3. Wiki pages:
> There are a few too many LiveDVD wiki pages,
> which makes it hard for a newbie to find out what is current,
> and what is not.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:Live-demo
> I suggest that we consolidate down to a few pages,

R3.
I agree! Not very skilled on wiki, but I will do my best! (I'm a fast learner!!!)

And who can take the first step into consolidation?

I suppose we will use wiki to discuss and propose changes to it.
Or shell we use this mailling list (Live-Demo)?

> 4. Central VM, which we rsync from:
> As mentioned earlier, I think
that we should set up a central virtual machine,
> probably on OSGeo
hardware, which we can all rsync from in order to
> collaboratively
update the same virtual machine.

R4.
This is THE big issue! If we use virtual disks files (vmdk), they are 4 GB long...

I'm available for trying rsync with GISVM vmdk files. I've already made one available for Stefan...
Please configure it on the OSGeo box, asap...

But I must also suggest:

a) Amazon S3 engine! Very powerfull and speedy service. But a Payed one!

b) Drobox, a free and multiplataform sync engine (limited to 2-3 GB, for free)
If we 7zip the vmdk file we probably can reduce it under 2 GB...

Other suggestions and opinions are welcome...
And you can count on me!

Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho
http://gisvm.com