[Live-demo] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] GeoConnexions column -- Live DVD spread

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:10:04 PST 2009

(continuing discussion from osgeo discuss list)

Michael,
Do these quotes include printing the DVD as well?

If so, I think this potentially represents excellent Return On
Investment from a Marketing point of view.

I see our goals from a Marketing point of view to be:
1. Increased resources (users, developers, or funding) into Geospatial
Open Source projects.
Effectively, this boils down to targeting decision makers and
influencing them to select Open Source over the alternatives.

2. Increased sponsorship of OSGeo, (which can increase our marketing
budget for future years).

So the big question is:
Where do we spend our marketing budget to maximise our goals?

Do decision makers, or techies that influence decision makers, read
GeoConnexions magazine?
What proportion of the magazine readership do they represent?
Are the readers currently using an alternative to the OSGeo stack or
software?
Ie, how many CDs do we hand out, to get $XXX worth of money allocated to
Open Source?

I think there is a good business case for potential OSGeo sponsors to
pay for the distribution of a Live DVD print run, in return for their
logo on the Live DVD.