[Live-demo] Does your application work on the click2try GISVM?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 20:35:11 PDT 2009

Alex wrote:
> We can't guarantee the uid, various processes in the
> building of the iso have a tendancy to wipe the existing
> user and a new one is created on boot not necessarily with
> the same uid. The recommendation was to make sure that all
> files were group rwx to the users group, not "user"
> so chmod g+rwx. Hamish will correct me if I'm misremembering
> the discussion.

you've got it, but if you insist I'll chuck in 2c. :)

we can expect/hope that established GIDs will be consistent within a
distro release. It would have to be confirmed among different distro
releases, but I would be midly surprised if the "users" group number has
changed between ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04. Also we have to trust that any
ISO/VM-making script does not flush the /etc/group file. (so far none
have seemed to)

so with that caveat we can trust the GID to be stable.

if using recursively, 'chmod g+rwX' (upper case X) can be used to only +x
for directories and not make plain files executable- which is mostly
harmless, but none the less sloppy.

Hamish