[Live-demo] Tomcat6 setup for deegree

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Sep 2 14:55:53 PDT 2009

Judit,
You raise some good points here.
As per: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build#Build_Drivers

The GISVM and LiveDVD is targeted at a demo version. The aim is to
highlight the product features, but it not expected to be tuned for high
capacity of complicated scenarios.

Our biggest constraining factor is lack of RAM. So to work around this,
the policy is:

   1. Do not start applications upon power up. (Ie, don't start deamons,
      allow users to start them instead).
   2. Set up examples which, by default, don't depend on other
      applications. Less applications open, means less memory. Ie, Have
      GeoServer access a shapefile instead of PostGIS.
   3. Try to avoid scenarios which write data to disk, as disk space in
      the Live DVD is stored in RAM, and is not cleared afterward.

In your case, I suggest that you install all your applications into the
one tomcat webapp rather than starting another. I'm assuming that having
two web applications in the same webapp will not mean the RAM is
consumed until the application is activated. Is this correct?

If possible, I suggest that you allow the user to turn on Deegree web
apps individually. Ie, create a different desktop icon for Deegree WMS,
Deegree WFS, ...