[Live-demo] Torrents of Images?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Sep 14 16:50:02 PDT 2009

Basically, from what I understand, if the uploader has the file and
creates the torrent using your favorite client, then all you would need
to post on downloads would be the .torrent file and start seeding from
your machine.

Once that's done notify the list and we would all start the torrent and
connect to you and each other, the download server if it had a torrent
client could also connect, and viola the next thing we know the whole
dev team and the server would have the file. No need to check hash, no
need to restart upload or download since the torrent client handles that
for you.

Worst case scenario, once one of us closer to the osgeo server gets the
file, we post it to the server (I could do that since I have a fast
connection and I'm in California) and then repost an updated torrent
file that includes the Web Seed link (Basically it's a link to the file
via http, so that if no seeders are available it uses that file).

I don't really know if it will speed things up but it might,
Alex