[Live-demo] 2.0beta5 released today, final 2.0 starts building on Friday

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 10:09:10 PDT 2009

Cameron wrote:
> The next release to be created will be by Alex Mandel, who
> will start Friday evening, US time.

Alex, if there is time to do a quick beta5 between now and then.....?
 :) :)
?

> So please test like crazy, and fix anything you can.

in beta4 there was a problem that some self-compiling scripts sucked
in some hundreds of megabytes of -dev packages and didn't remove them
after their compile. At the same time the non-dev libraries which those
-dev packges brought with them which are required by the compiled program
were only tagged in the package management system as automatically
installed, so when the -dev packages were auto-removed later on the
libraries disappear as well (because the system thinks no one is using
them) and then the self-compiled program dies because a library can't be
found.

(can't stop the auto-remove; multiple versions of libraries can coexist
happily enough but not multiple versions of -dev packages)

I think I've fixed all of these in SVN now by explicitly installing the
libraries that seem to be removed in err, but I can not really test it.
I would ask that folks check that pgRouting and R-qt stuff works as
expected.

I would also ask that folks try the ISO on their laptops and report if
their wifi works or not. we may have to select a few non-free binary
blob packages for those. (maybe Ubuntu already includes those, I'm not
sure, so I ask)

these two were on the GISVM and got automatically removed, not sure if
that matters to anyone:
 linux-headers-2.6.28-11
 linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic

and I notice that install_mapserver.sh removes these two:
  apache2-mpm-worker libgd2-noxpm
?

I would ask that the maintainers of the install_pgrouting.sh,
install_postgres.sh, and load_postgis.sh scripts please use the --quiet
flag with the psql command. Currently that fills the build log with
thousands of lines of SQL which makes the logs harder to pour through.

> Do not introduce any new functionality of anything which
> might break the build before then.

me, I'm just worried about the damages caused by the above fixes :^)

To review recent SVN changes look here:
  https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/log/livedvd/gisvm/trunk

click on a [rev number] to see the colorized diff.
Beta4 was r2282. We are now up to r2319. (several of those are elsewhere
in the osgeo repo though, it is not just used for livedemo project)

I added a install_osm.sh script in svn to add some probably-harmless
OpenStreetMap tools, but have not activated it in main.sh.

Also MapTiler, GpsBabel + GUI (1.2mb), and gpsVP (500k) have been added
to the ms-windows installer list. Mac OSX installers have not been added
yet. Are those on the same deadline?

> If you introduce a fix to one of the build scripts, please
> test that it runs in the last VM, or organise to have
> someone test it for you.

if someone could run through the included grass and gpsdrive help
micro-tutorials I would be most grateful.

cheers,
Hamish