[Live-demo] Re: Kosmo Team. LiveDVD description.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Sep 24 13:58:21 PDT 2009

Carlos, I've just given your svn access. Can you please add yourself to
the contributors.csv list as per:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Subversion

If someone else doesn't beat you to it, can you also add your docs into svn. If you are quick, they will be included into the 2.0beta5 release which has just started building.

SAIG Carlos wrote:
> [...]
> is designed for the average GIS user, with special emphasis on
> user-friendly interface (quite similar to the most famous and wide
> used commercial desktop GIS). It is open source and provides users
> with the most useful tools to explore, edit and analyze spatial data.
> All of it by observing the OpenGIS standards and applying high efforts
> to maintain the data topology quality. It is the first component of a
> series of developments oriented to be a complete spatial data
> infrastructure that will be made available to the entire community.
>
> Kosmo - 1.2.1 is distributed under a GPLv2 license (see GPL v2 license
> <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html> for more details about it)
>

>     Running on the LiveDVD
>
>    1. To run Kosmo 1.2.1 on the Live DVD, click on the Kosmo link on
>       the desktop.
>    2. In the /"Wellcome to Kosmo"/ dialog, select the option /"With a
>       new view"/ under the /"Create new project"/ group in order to
>       create a new project with an empty view. Press Ok to continue
>    3. In the next dialog, select your Spatial Reference System and
>       press Ok to continue
>    4. Press the green plus button from the main toolbar to start
>       adding geodata resources (files, databases tables) to the empty view
>

>     Getting started
>
> Kosmo - Desktop Client 1.2.1 is able to load the next types of geodata
> resources:
>
>     * *Vectorial file layers:* Shapefiles, DXF, DWG, DGN, CSV (by an
>       extension)
>     * *Vectorial databases:* PostgreSQL + PostGIS, Oracle, MySQL
>     * *Raster layers:* ECW, MrSID, Tiff, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
>     * *OGC services:* WMS 1.0.0/1.1.0/1.3.0
>
> There are some shapefiles and images from
> //usr/local/share/openjump-data/ or //usr/local/share/qgis-data/ that
> can be loaded, as well as any WMS server configured.
>

>     New functionalities in the new 2.0 beta download
>
> Apart from the Kosmo - Desktop 1.2.1 version that is available in the
> LiveDVD, we have also build a Kosmo - Desktop 2.0 beta release for
> Linux that includes most of the list of main new functionalities and
> improvements described next:
>
>    1. New advanced printing module that uses as base the OpenOffice
>       offimatic suite
>    2. Topology relations on edition and post-edition mode
>    3. Sextante
>       <http://forge.osor.eu/plugins/wiki/index.php?id=13&type=g>
>       bindings for Kosmo
>    4. Raster georreferencing tool
>    5. Generation of polygons from a line set tool
>    6. Clean / intersect / validating tools
>    7. Improvements for digitizing tools (geometry tracking mode, ...)
>    8. KML export
>    9. GML import / export
>   10. SLD import / export
>   11. WFS connector added
>   12. WMS connector improved
>   13. Field calculator improved with some new functions
>
> In order to download and install it automatically, there is an install

Geospatial Systems Architect